What is CA Watcher?
CA Watcher is a program which supervises EPICS variables.
The user can receive warnings if desired.
These warnings can be sounds on the local computer, SMS or emails.
The text messaging option is only available at the HZB campus in Adlershof.
All detected alarm states including values are visible in a table
and can be stored for further useage.
CA Watcher should work on every platform, only Java (1.6 and above) is required.
It is available in English and German.
How does it look like?
What does the table show?
The table of the main window contains:
- For the PV name.
- If the PV-name is not valid, it is coloured red.
- For individual comments.
- Does not affect the program sequence.
- current value
- If the PV is valid the current value is shown.
- If the PV has enumeration values, the text values will be shown.
- Date and time of the last change.
- Displays the .STAT field of the PV.
- Provides an additional information about severity.
- Displays the .SEVR field of the PV.
- Displays a global error classification.
- An alarm is triggered if the comparison with the "comparison value" field is true.
- There is an intelligent selection of valid operators depending on the PV type.
- comparison value
- Value to compare with.
- If the PV has enumeration values, you can choose them from a combobox.
- Checkbox to activate watching and sending alarms for selected PV.
- A popup will open to select alarm properties.
Where can I see the alarms?
The alarm history is stored in a separate alarm window.
The first tab stores the alarms for all PVs.
The other tabs with names store only the alarms for one PV.
Each table can be saved to a CSV-File.
How I can choose more than one host name in the environment variable 'EPICS_CA_ADDR_LIST' ?
Link them with space, semicolon or comma.
If there are questions please read the "Help" menu first.
Example: EPICS_CA_ADDR_LIST=HOST1 HOST2
Downloads of CA Watcher
CA_Watcher.jar (v1.2.1) May 2013
CA_Watcher (v1.2.1) source code May 2013
If you have any questions or comments please sent it to
Copyright and license of CA Watcher
Copyright (C) 2011
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH
, Berlin, Germany (HZB).
This software is distributed under the terms of the
EPICS Open License